Friday 5 October 2012

A Walk Down Yonge Street

Two years ago, my friend Carin gave me the idea to walk down Toronto's iconic Yonge Street.  Yonge Street was formerly listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the longest street in the world at 1,178 miles.  The street is home to high rise buildings, small flower shops, beautiful parks and the subway line.  The photo opportunities are endless!

Today, I walked it!!  I didn't walk all 1,178 miles . . . but I did walk 8.53 miles of it!  I started at the Yonge-Sheppard Subway stop and walked to the shores of Lake Ontario.  I then turned around and walked part way back.  In total, I walked 14.43 miles.  This adventure took about 5 hours (including the 30 minutes I spent in Eaton Centre grabbing a bite to eat).

Here is the thing . . . I REALLY wanted to do this walk.  Not because I thought that I couldn't do it.  I knew I could physically do it.  I just wasn't sure that I would do it.  I can get so wrapped up with the day-to-day aspects of life.  I'm always running kids here and there, cleaning this and that, doing laundry, or working.  I always have a list of 20 things that need to be done.  I love being a wife and mother.  I wouldn't trade my life for the world but I wanted to take a day to do something that was just for me.  Selfish?  Maybe.  But I'm glad that I did it. 

Here are a few 37 photos from my walk. 







































2 comments:

  1. Pretty cool!! Have I walked a small portion of this street? I recognize one statue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT is awesome! Love the photos, but most of all love the idea of walking down that amazing street, just because, and letting the rest of life's duties just wait a day. Hope you do it again!

    ReplyDelete